Budget vs. Aesthetics: Railing Innovation Finds the Perfect Balance
The Railing Challenge
A major contractor had a pre-construction dilemma: They needed new railings with different designs/types throughout their structure, including different rail anchorage details. And they had a strict budget of $1 million — not a dollar more — while meeting the high aesthetic standards of the project’s owner.
The contractor turned to Standard Iron’s team to help overcome the following challenges:
- The project owner requested glass railings in order to achieve clean, unobstructed site lines. This request entailed expensive materials.
- The contractor was unsure of the exact, custom railing requirements needed to stay on budget while meeting the project owner’s expectations.
- The contractor needed help providing accurate pricing quickly, to deliver a cost-effective proposal for the project owner.
Fortunately, the Standard Iron team had decades of experience engineering different types of railing throughout a structure, including every detail down to the mounting.
A Unique, Value-Add Railings Solution
The Standard Iron engineering team quickly developed a unique solution, using 3D BIM modeling to help the contractor visually understand the options they had to choose from, including the exact placement of the rails. Standard Iron also offered different types of more cost-effective materials the contractor had not previously considered, to meet their aesthetic requirements and stay within budget.
This value-add solution included:
- Offered railings with stainless cables that were within the project budget, as an alternative to glass for clean site lines.
- Provided schematics and concepts, then quickly visually modeled them and incorporated them into the estimating process.
- Provided the contractor with fast, accurate pricing, for a cost-effective proposal for the project owner.
The Results of a Value-Added Partnership
Thanks to 90 years’ experience and the design-engineering ingenuity of the Standard Iron team, the contractor delivered the aesthetically-designed railings the project owner wanted, while meeting their tight budget requirements.
This was just the first project in an ongoing, profitable partnership with the contractor after Standard Iron earned their trust by delivering superior quality on time and within budget. This win-win partnership with Standard Iron continues to deliver benefits such as:
- Availability and responsiveness: Standard Iron made themselves available for questions and provided prompt and helpful solutions at every step, even after the initial project was completed. This partnership led to additional solutions and budgeting help for the contractor.
- Consultative approach: Standard Iron acted as a partner, adding project value at every step, guiding the client through the process, and offering expertise in solving various problems and answering questions.
Building trust: Standard Iron developed a strong rapport with the contractor, so the contractor could feel confident in their ability to deliver desired results (while making the contractor’s job easier).
Explore the Power of Partnering With Us
At Standard Iron and our division, we take pride in being a seamless extension of your structural projects.
If you’re looking for a true strategic partner who can design cost-effective, purpose-built railing solutions, while keeping your projects on track, contact us today.
Similar Case Studies
Standard Iron helps a global climate innovator and HVAC leader cut costs and boost production with optimized delivery and utilization.
Standard Iron engineers an innovative architectural solution to help a contractor and architect fill their structural gaps standing in the way of speedy project resolution.
Standard Iron’s team helps a contractor solve pre-construction budget challenges with an innovative, aesthetically pleasing railing solution.