Architectural Innovation Solves Structural Design Challenges
The Structural Challenge
With every commercial construction project, there are multiple design challenges that often require innovative architectural metal design solutions. This was the case when a contractor and architect came to Standard Iron to help them fill their design and engineering gaps for an atrium project.
The challenge: Much of the infrastructure for the atrium was already in place, but the project customer had overlooked the need for a mechanical platform that would be required for mechanical maintenance.
Additional challenges included:
- All the mechanical equipment for the structure was already in place, including ductwork, conduit, and roofing material that needed to be worked around.
- Both the budget and timelines for the project were tight, so a fast resolution was essential to keep the project on track.
- Multiple details had to be coordinated as quickly as possible, including opening requirements, ladder locations, railing requirements/locations, and tie-off points for safety equipment.
3D Clash Detection for Speedy Solution
The Standard Iron’s Architectural Metals team quickly developed a solution, working within the architect’s BIM model to a LOD 500 status. Standard Iron used their Tekla® Structures 3D BIM software to identify structural issues standing in the way of a speedy solution.
After exchanging and reviewing 3D models with the architect’s team, solutions to clashing items were coordinated and then drawings were issued for final approval. This Standard Iron solution also included:
- Developed multiple design options at the beginning of the project to fit their specific budget.
- Delivered a delegated design option to meet the energy requirements and addressed the complexities and erection challenges with the contractor.
- Monitored cost considerations throughout the project, which helped ensure cost approval when the design was completed.
The Results of a Value-Added Partnership
Thanks to 90 years’ experience and the design-engineering ingenuity of the Standard Architectural team, the project was completed in the tight time frame required, allowing the customers to meet their date for tower crane removal and their ultimate project closing date.
This was just the first project in an ongoing, profitable partnership with the contractor and architect after Standard Iron earned their trust by delivering superior quality on time and within budget. This win-win partnership with Standard Iron delivered benefits such as:
- Fast response: Standard Iron team members engineered and delivered a streamlined solution after recognizing the consequences the customer faced if their challenges were not addressed quickly.
- Knowledge: Standard Iron served as a consultant and partner, guiding the client through every step of the process, offering expertise and value, quickly and efficiently.
- Understanding: Today, the customer has a strong relationship with Standard Iron after recognizing the team’s willingness to go above and beyond to deliver solutions and assist our customers.
Explore the Power of Partnering With Us
At Standard Iron, we take pride in being a seamless, value-added extension of your assembly operation.
If you’re looking for a true strategic partner who can strengthen your supply chain and improve how you bring products to life, then contact us today.
Similar Case Studies
Standard Iron helps a global climate innovator and HVAC leader cut costs and boost production with optimized delivery and utilization.
Standard Iron engineers an innovative architectural solution to help a contractor and architect fill their structural gaps standing in the way of speedy project resolution.
Standard Iron’s team helps a contractor solve pre-construction budget challenges with an innovative, aesthetically pleasing railing solution.